Have a question? Please ask!

Friday, May 4, 2012

Social Media’s Direct Route to Charitable Causes


I have noticed lately that people are using social media more to get attention for their charities. Facebook is revolutionizing organ donation right now, for example. Maybe if you are a business owner, you are thinking, “What does this have to do with me?” Actually, it may mean a lot to your business in terms of public relations. Getting involved with a meaningful cause is a great way to improve the public’s perception of your company.

Businesses that sponsor charitable events and drives get the benefit of good press. They also have opportunities to get out their branding messages. For-profit companies often sponsor charity golf events, dinners or races. When they do, the traditional route is to hand out logo hats, T-shirts, or other branded goodies. I show up in a logo shirt or carry a logo bag, and people around me take notice.

Social media platforms bring people together in several ways. Just interacting on Facebook, Twitter and Google+ can get the word out that you are involved in helping others. I have sent and been sent invitations to events through Facebook. I always read them because I do not want to miss out on something important to me.

I also hear about causes I am interested in from Twitter posts. Conversations can start up and spread easily in those feeds. If I want to find out what is going on with my favorite charities, I check out the trending topics and search for them. When I do, I notice pretty quickly who is putting on events to advance my cause.

If you are participating in a charitable event, you probably want everybody to know about it. Get on those social media sites. Post details and statistics about the cause. Post inspirational messages that are relevant to your charity. Include a motto or slogan of your own along with a mention of the charity.

If your profile picture does not tell something about your business, change it right away. It should be your logo, a photo of a company leader, or an illustration or photo showing your services. When consumers see your logo or special image associated with social giving, the positive exposure goes a long way.

You look good when you help others, but remember that while you are looking good, you are also making an impact on a worthy cause. You do not have to steal the show away from the cause you sponsor. All you have to do is let people know you are involved. They will draw their own conclusions, and you will get the positive results you want.

Do you have a charity that your business sponsors? 

Ask us about how we can publicize your involvement in charitable causes through social media management. ArticleWriteUp.com can do the work to improve your image and visibility.

No comments:

AWU Tweets!